Sunday, August 19, 2007

a pipe dream

I've started saving for a Vespa. A 1964-65 Vespa 180 or Rally is the sweet spot but I'm mainly aiming for any vintage vespa with a unified seat (some have the split seat), the square headlight (instead of the round one) and a glove box (so I can stick a lowjack in there). I figure that LA is perfect motorcycle country and if I leave here without taking advantage of the fact that it never rains I'm going to regret it. It's even legal to drive between lanes so the horrible traffic doesnt affect motorcyclists! I've found a shop in northern CA that restores and modernizes vespas from this era, but I cant decide if I want an authentic restoration with all original parts, or a modernized version that wont break down.

These things go for $3-4000, so it's a ways off, but I'll be hunting one down as soon as I pay off my credit cards. They're awesome!



4 comments:

Unknown said...

haha. John, you are probably the coolest person alive.

Mark said...

totally - the coolest person on earth...plus MARS.

JohnDoublestein said...

wow, that's high praise! I would say the same about each of you guys though. I like your icon pic mark! Nice lookin shot of that hurricane of yours. :-)

Debra said...

hi John,
Jeremy drove his Vespa from London to
Turkey and back, he used to take me to work on the back of his vespa when we lived in London. Much quicker than bus or tube (subway).
Have fun, students here at SCAD are still loving Andy,
best wishes, Debra*