Thursday, September 21, 2006

Advanced Figure Drawing #2


The armature is complete! After much $ and even more work I think I've finally got the armature where I want it in preparation for constructing the muscles. To get the proportions right, I enlarged a skeleton diagram on the copy machine...but didnt get around to actually measuring it until around 12:00am. Unfortunately I had made the enlargement too small, as the sculpture is supposed to be a minimum of 3 feet tall and, my copy was only 2.5 feet. It was too late to go make another enlargement, so I tried to adjust things just knowing that everything had to be a bit taller. This made things very difficult and I'm still not convinced it all worked out properly. I used my callipers to try and at least make sure the proportions were consistent, but it would have been a whole lot easier if I just had the right size diagram to form my wire on top of. I also ended up waking early so I could go buy some new galvanized pipe to accommodate the taller skeleton. Then I wrapped the larger armature wire with the smaller stuff so the clay will have something to grab on to. Finally I used epoxy putty to concrete it all together. We'll see what my professor thinks, but there's not much going back now!

No comments: