Wednesday, September 20, 2006

update: JTDriggingTools


Okay, so I made some major progress last night! I'm starting to get the hang of providing custom context sensitive right click menus that can travel with the rig file. This allows me to call custom scripts without requiring the user to know how to run a script (you'd be surprised how many people still dont know how to run a script) or asking them to install a special shelf. I'd been using this technique to do the dynamic parent snapping, but last night I also moved over my IK/FK switching to rt click menus. My previous approach was to trigger the snap scripts using a selection changed scriptJob - if the user selects an IK icon, it will snap to IK mode, if they selects an FK icon, it will snap to FK mode. However, this caused some problems with undos (the scriptJobs would remain even after the rigging was undone) so with the rt. click menus it's much simpler (I also got rid of some clutter by getting rid of the icons).

Oh, I also solved the shoulder flipping issues I mentioned in the previous post. It was strange, if I rotated the hips 90 degrees, the shoulders would also rotate (this wasnt a pole vector problem either). It turned out that I just needed to fix the rotation orders of the shoulder up-vector used to drive the advanced twist. Peachy!

No comments: